Uploading or embedding videos in Canvas
Canvas courses have a maximum size of 20Gb. Uploading videos directly into Canvas can very quickly use up that space, so it is best to host your content elsewhere and then embed on Canvas.
Video content that you create in ReCap Personal Capture (PCap) is automatically uploaded to the ReCap online system. You can embed these recordings into your Canvas modules and pages in a few simple clicks.
- Publish a ReCap link as a Canvas module item (Canvas Orientation)
- Embed a ReCap recording in a Canvas page (Canvas Orientation)
If you have a video file created in another tool (e.g. PowerPoint), you can also upload it to ReCap. Doing so will allow you to take advantage of the platform's editing, captioning and hosting features.
- Upload your video to ReCap (.docx)
You can use Microsoft's video sharing platform Stream to host your video content. Microsoft Stream is part of Office 365, so you can access it using your University account. Find out more at web.microsoftstream.com
To embed a Stream video in a Canvas page, you will need to find and copy your video's embed code. You can find out how to do this here:
Vimeo is a professional video hosting platform used by a number of schools in the University. Vimeo has a free version, as well as a paid for version, which may already be in use in your school/department.
- Information about Vimeo (free version): https://vimeo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/224818307-Basic-membership
- Vimeo’s guide on uploading to their site: https://help.vimeo.com/hc/en-us/categories/201496018-Uploading-to-Vimeo