The scheme is open to all Newcastle University staff and students. To borrow from the scheme you need to:
1. Register with the Scheme
You can register with the scheme by filling out a short form at https://crypt.ncl.ac.uk/hardwareloans/register.php which authenticates you as a campus user, and asks you to accept the scheme's terms and conditions.
2. Reserve Equipment
We have a variety of equipment in Hardware Loans. You can reserve some items for yourself but there are many which are restricted, and for these, you need to ask one of our referrers to reserve them for you.
Restrictions are in place to ensure that popular items are available to disabled staff and students and so that we can have confidence that equipment is suited to your needs. A small number of staff can reserve restricted items for you, see the contacts page for information on who to contact.
- View and reserve equipment from the on-line catalogue
When reservations are made you will be sent an email confirmation containing a reference number for each item you reserve.
3. Collect equipment
After you reserve equipment it will be checked and moved from our stores to to the main issue desk in the Philip Robinson Library.
- Equipment booked before 4pm will be ready for collection at 10am on the next working day.
- Bring a copy of your reservation email to the Philip Robinson Library issue desk on Level 2 to collect the equipment. You can collect it at any time that the main issue desk is staffed.
- We will hold the equipment at the issue desk for you for one week. If you do not collect it in that time it will be returned to stock and you will need to make a further reservation.
4. Loan Durations
- Loan return dates are set at the end of each term.
- Items in high demand are marked "Short term loan only" and cannot be renewed.
- Other items can be renewed up to a maximum of one year.
It is not the intention of the scheme to provide equipment on a permanent basis. Equipment is provided for short term needs; for evaluation and to provide support while long term solutions are explored.
Services listed on our Advice and Contacts page will be able to provide guidance on obtaining equipment on a permanent basis.