Email and Calendaring
The service provides an integrated mailbox that allows sharing and collaboration from on and off campus. This allows members of the University to communicate with each other and external collaborators.
- Provision of a University email address and mailbox hosted in the cloud by Microsoft Office365.
- Access via desktop Outlook client, Outlook on the Web, mobile Outlook app.
- Mailboxes protected by Office365 spam and malware filtering.
- Ability to share mailbox items and calendars.
- Self-service recovery of accidentally deleted items.
The email and calendaring service is available to all members of the University.
The service is provided by Microsoft Office365 and is bound by the Microsoft Online Services Level Agreement. NUIT provides a monthly availability target for the service of 99.5% which is measured against the following:
Mailbox can be accessed via desktop Outlook application, Outlook on the Web or mobile Outlook application.
Emails can be sent and received, to and from, internal and external email addresses.
Availability measurements exclude service interruption resulting from:
- Scheduled maintenance windows.
- Customer’s failure to make use of the service as specified in the service definition.
- Customer’s failure to adhere to University IT Policies.
- Customer’s failure to follow configuration requirements for the Service as documented, or abusive behaviour, or faulty input.
- Use of the service outside of the scope and limits provided by the Office365 Exchange Online Service Description.
Support and Documentation
Email and calendaring documentation is available at: https://services.ncl.ac.uk/itservice/core-services/email/
Additional support is available via the IT Service Desk on 0191 208 5999 or https://nuservice.ncl.ac.uk
All incidents relating to this service will be handled according to the Incident Management and Major Incident Management processes.
Members of the University are automatically provided with a University mailbox when they register for an IT account. The email address is constructed based on name information from the official HR or student record.
University email addresses will be searchable:
- In the Global Address List within Outlook for internal users
- In the University’s web-based People Search directory (http://directory.ncl.ac.uk/) for internal and external users
Email address changes:
- To request a change in the allocated email address, contact the IT Service Desk in the first case. In general, changes will only be made based on HR or student record data, but the IT Service Desk can advise on this.
It is the user’s responsibility to ensure that they follow the IT rules of use: https://services.ncl.ac.uk/itservice/rules/
Users are encouraged to actively housekeep their mailbox.