The Network service provides data network connectivity to University students, staff and visitors, and is a the foundation upon which almost all University IT services are built.
Users may connect devices to the network using either a cable or wireless connection, according to their location and status.
Once connected, users/devices will be able to access online resources and services, hosted on-campus, across the JANET national academic network, and the wider Internet.
The key features of the Network service are:
- Provides access to data networked University information and services.
- Provides access to JANET and Internet based information and services.
- Is designed to be available at all times.
- Is accessible across the Newcastle University Campus and halls of residence in two main forms:
- Wired: staff offices, University-owned halls of residence and some public areas.
- Wireless: widely available across campus and in University-owned halls of residence.
The network connection service is available for use by University students, staff and guests. Access is tailored according to the type of user.
The University’s data network is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This applies to both wired and wireless connections.
Network Connection Clinic: Monday-Friday, 09:00-16:00, during University term time.
The “at risk” period is 07:00-09:00 is every Tuesday. Further planned maintenance times will be publicised in advance if there will be a disruption to the service.
Level of Service
Types of access vary across different user groups:
- Students: Restricted network access to University networked resources and the Internet.
Note: As student computer hardware is not under University control, network access restrictions are used to offer some protection to network users and University data networked resources and infrastructure.
- Staff: Unrestricted network access to University network resources and the Internet.
- Guests: A University guest network connection (wireless only) requires appropriate credentials be established in advance and network traffic is sent via a dedicated route bypassing the restrictions on the academic network.
Target availability: 99.95% of service hours, excluding advertised planned maintenance downtime. This equates to a target of no more than 23 minutes of unplanned outages per month.
The University data network is designed and built with both performance and resilience in mind. The network itself is made up of high capacity, highly available hardware and infrastructure. Comprehensive network monitoring and maintenance work ensures that any network service problems are detected and dealt with quickly.
Support and Documentation
User guides, containing guidance on how to access the University’s data network are available at https://services.ncl.ac.uk/itservice/core-services/connect
There is a Network Connection Clinic (offering help and advice to students on connecting to the University’s network) at the Old Library User Area (OLUA) Help Desk.
Any problems with a network connection in halls of residence should be reported to the halls reception and a network tester will investigate and report physical faults to the IT Service.
Additional support is available via the IT Service Desk on 0191 208 5999 or https://nuservice.ncl.ac.uk
All incidents relating to this service will be handled according to the Incident Management and Major Incident Management processes.
Student access to the network:
- Follow the instructions for students at https://services.ncl.ac.uk/itservice/core-services/connect/overview/students/ for wired or wireless connections.
Staff access to the network:
- Staff desktop machines must be registered on the network; see your school’s Computing Officer or IT personnel.
- Follow the instructions for staff at https://services.ncl.ac.uk/itservice/core-services/connect/overview/staff for wired or wireless connections.
Guest access to the network:
- Fill in the form at https://services.ncl.ac.uk/itservice/core-services/connect/overview/visitors on behalf of your guest and return it to the IT Service Desk.
- You will be issued credentials for your guest who will be able to access the network over wireless.
- Follow the instructions for visitors at https://services.ncl.ac.uk/itservice/core-services/connect/overview/visitors for wireless connections.
Requests for any other aspect of the service should be made via the IT Service Desk on 0191 208 5999 or https://nuservice.ncl.ac.uk
All requests relating to this service will be handled according to the Request Fulfilment process.
Users are expected to make use of the documentation before contacting the Service Desk for help.
Users are subject to the Computer User's Agreement and the Policy on Use of IT facilities.
Users should also take common-sense security precautions when on the network including the use of updated anti-virus software.