These notes relate specifically to making documents accessible, for guidance on writing for university publications please review the Newcastle University Brand Guidelines.
- Use a minimum font size of 12 point
- Ensure good contrast between letters and the background.
- Avoid underlining large volumes of text and the use of block capitals
- Don’t underline hyperlinks
- For handouts be prepared to offer some on cream paper and some in large print (16 point text or greater), or make it available electronically before the event
- Use matte finish rather than gloss paper
- Use clear language and keep it as straight forward as possible.
- Use concepts and terminology consistently
- Use lists and bullet points to set out lists
- Avoid long blocks of continuous text - break text into paragraphs and use headings
- Use clear fonts
- Left align text on the page
- Emphasize text with bold rather than italics
- Provide captions for pictures
- Display page numbers
- Avoid placing text on top of images or patterned backgrounds
- Avoid complex table layouts if possible