Staff, Student & Societies
All University staff, students and societies can publish their own informal website.
Sites are published at the following addresses:
- www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/firstname.surname (as your University email address)
- www.student.ncl.ac.uk/firstname.surname (as your University email address)
Please note: Personal publishing for staff, students and societies is not provided as a business-critical service. It shouldn't be used for hosting teaching or research materials as availability can't be guaranteed at an appropriate level. (See Research and Conference Web Publishing)
- User-friendly dashboard for managing pages and files (no technical knowledge required)
- Choose from a number of mobile responsive templates (themes)
- Spam-filtered commenting (choice of guest or registered user commenting)
- Publish text, links, pictures (Flickr, Picasa galleries) and embed video (YouTube, Vimeo etc.)
- Social media integration to share posts on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and LinkedIn
- Built on the WordPress platform
Registering for a staff/student website
Registration is instant and you can begin using the service right away.
Registering for a Society website
Registration should normally take place within three working days; you'll receive confirmation by email.
When you register, we will:
- Create a site with your personal URL.
- Add your email address to the www-announce mailing list for service changes and updates.
Support and Documentation
A user guide is available: Personal_Publishing_User_Guide.pdf (1.4MB)
Additional support is available via the IT Service Desk on 0191 208 5999 or firstname.lastname@example.org (please consult the support documentation prior to contacting the IT Service Desk).
Linking and Searching
You can opt-out of the site directory by changing the privacy settings within Dashboard > Settings > Reading > Site Visibility
Rules of Use
All content hosted on the University web servers must adhere to the guidelines and rules of use.