The Campus Wireless Service is available to all staff and students across campus and in some halls of residence. The service uses the wireless network newcastle-university.
The WiFi Certificate will be updated on 19th December 2023, for more information visit https://services.ncl.ac.uk/itservice/core-services/connect/methods/wireless/cert/
Connect to Campus WiFi
For most devices:
- Select the newcastle-university WiFi network
- Enter your University username and password when prompted
or for eduroam
- Select the eduroam WiFi network
- Enter University firstname.lastname@example.org and password when prompted
You will now be connected. If not, your device may require a WiFi certificate. Check your WiFi settings and select Ignore Certificates or Do not validate.
You can also use the eduroam CAT tool (see below) to install the WiFi certificate on your device.
WiFi with the CAT Tool.
If you couldn't connect by entering your username and password, use the eduroam CAT tool. This will install a WiFi profile and a certificate, on your device.
You'll need to get online first. You can connect to the internet using 3G, the University Guest WiFi service or a wired connection. You can also visit the Service Bar in the Old Library or the IT Support Desk in the Philip Robinson Library to get temporary WiFi access.
If you are using Android you'll need these Android instructions, otherwise, you can follow these:
Use the QR Code to take you to the Newcastle University eduroam installer.
Connect your MacBook to WiFi
Once you have a temporary connection to the Internet,
- Go https://cat.eduroam.org
- Select “Click here to download your eduroam installer”
- Search and Select Newcastle University
- Select “All Users (2022-2023)
- Download file
- Go to Apple logo on the top left
- Go to System Preferences
- Go to Profiles
- Install eduroam (delete the old one if you have it)
- Fill Out your Login ID Information when it appears (c12345 & password). It will ask twice.
- Install and try to connect to eduroam and/or Newcastle University
Running the app on Windows will show the following steps:
Warning - that the app will only work for members of Newcastle University
User credentials - enter your login ID@ncl.ac.uk and password
Installer - Installs the wireless profiles
Asks you to accept the certificate from AAA Certificate Services
Do you want to install this certificate?
The app configures profiles for both eduroam and newcastle-university.
For specialist equipment and platforms not supported by the CAT tool, you will need the following information to connect to WiFi.
newcastle-university OR eduroam
Protected EAP (PEAP)
[ See below ]
You should include the server certificate if required. Download and install on your device in the certificate store. The current certificate file AAA Certificate Services should be used or you may need the Full Certificate Chain.