Account Expiry (Staff)
I am leaving the university – what will happen with my IT account (including my filestore and email address)?
When you notify the University you are leaving you will soon afterwards receive an email from the IT Service Desk to advise you when your IT account will expire.
Academic staff (Lecturers, Research Associates, etc)
Academic staff will normally retain access to the university network including email for one month after their employment has ended. Your Head of School/Institute/Service can request that your IT account be extended for up to a maximum of 90 days after your contract end date by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: IT access can be withdrawn sooner at the request of the Head of School/Institute/Service.
Non-academic staff (Administrative Staff, Support Staff, Building Operatives, etc)
Your account will normally expire at the end of the last day of employment, unless your Head of School/Institute/Service has authorised an alternative expiry date. Your Head of School/Institute/Service can request that your IT account be extended for up to a maximum of 90 days after your contract end date by emailing email@example.com.
Temporary Agency Staff
Your Head of School/Institute/Service can request that your IT account be extended by emailing the IT Service Desk.
Retired Staff/Emeritus Staff
Staff who are retiring from the University cannot have IT access unless they are registered as a Guest/Visitor in the University SAP system.
Emeritus staff must be registered in the University SAP system to continue their access to University IT.
Your Head of School/Institute/Service can request Guest/Visitor or Emeritus status by contacting your People Services Faculty team.
IT access will be terminated at the end of the last day of your contract. This can only be extended if a new contract is issued by People Services. We are not permitted to extend IT accounts for Guests, Visitors or Contingent Staff.
For further information please refer to Policy on Termination of IT Services access for Staff Leavers at http://www.ncl.ac.uk/hr/policy/leaving/index.php.
Before the expiry date, detailed in the email from the IT Service Desk, you should ensure that you:-
- Set up an out of office message in your email account as soon as possible, advising that you will no longer be working at the University.
We recommend the following wording for an appropriate out of office message:-
I am leaving the university on [advise date] and this email address will terminate soon after this date. Please re-send business emails to [alternative email address] or contact the [school or service] on [suggested telephone number].
Your out of office message will no longer operate once your account has expired.
- Ensure you communicate your alternative address to your contacts. Remember to include any personal online accounts (banking, paypal etc.) where you have used your Newcastle email address for identification.
- Save any emails/attachments from your email account and any files from your personal filestore (Home folder) that you wish to retain. Ensure you move all business information/records to a shared filestore.
- Arrange an alternative address - many internet services offer free email accounts.
- If you have access to online payslips please note that this access will be withdrawn on your last official working day. We would therefore recommend that you make a copy of your payslips before you leave. Any queries regarding access to payslips after you have left the University should be directed to Payroll (firstname.lastname@example.org).
When your account expires:-
- Your account (including email) will be inaccessible.
- We are not able to add a forwarding email address to your account.
- Your IT account (including email and filestore) will be removed from our systems completely approximately two months after the account has expired. We will be unable to restore your account after this period.
If you have received an email advising your account will expire and you are not leaving the University, contact your Faculty People Services Team.
If you have already contacted your Human Resources Team and you have a new contract in place, please inform the Service Desk.