Account Expiry (Students)
How long can I use University facilities after I graduate?
Students retain access to IT facilities, including email and filestore, for 7 months after the successful completion of their studies.
The expiry date will be confirmed by email two months prior to the closure of your IT account. A further reminder will be sent one month later and a final reminder will be sent two weeks before the expiry.
Note : In the event of a student withdrawing from study before completing their program, their IT account will be closed down immediately with no notice given.
Unfortunately, graduates are no longer members of the University. This has a significant bearing upon their entitlement to use University buildings and equipment (Health & Safety, insurance, etc.). Newly graduated students are regarded as authorised "visitors" to the University, until expiry of their records.
90 days after your account expires we will delete your home and profile folders, so please ensure you backup any files which need to be kept and that you have copied any emails and contacts you may need in the future.
When expiry is due to take place we will give you advance notice via email, detailing the following:
- The date and time your account will expire.
- That your account will be inaccessible beyond this date.
- That we are unable to extend your account beyond this date.
- That we are not able to add a forwarding email address to your account.
- That we are not able to accept payment for you to retain access to your student email address.
Before the detailed expiry date you should ensure that you:
- Arrange an alternative address - many internet services offer free email accounts.
- Ensure you communicate your alternative address to your contacts. Remember to include any online accounts (banking, Paypal etc...) where you have used your Newcastle email address for identification.
- Save off any emails/attachments from your email account and any files from your filestore (Home folder) that you wish to retain.
- If you are a returning student and have not yet done so, please ensure you complete your registration which will automatically allow your IT account to remain active. Any queries regarding your registration should be directed to email@example.com.
I am a student taking up a staff post after graduation
If you are a student taking up a staff post, a new staff IT account will be generated automatically once a staff record has been created by People Services. The new staff IT account will then usually be ready within 48 hours. Please see the Staff Registration pages for information on obtaining the staff login details. You will need to move your files and email from the previous student login (the IT Service cannot do this for you). Your email address will change in line with the Staff Email Policy.
Student Self Service (S3P) Portal
Your S3P account will still remain valid and accessible after your IT account closes down. We would recommend that you keep a note of your S3P password and username for future reference.
Digitary CORE Portal
Students who graduated from July 2018 onwards can obtain digitally certified qualifications online via the Digitary CORE portal. Advice and support for Digitary is provided by the Exams Office.
Questions regarding student IT account expiry?
Please contact us via https://nuservice.ncl.ac.uk or 0191 208 5999, Monday to Friday, 08:00 - 17:00.