Software for Mass Deployment
Please note that obtaining individual licences is covered in the Software Licences section.
Members of staff only may request the installation of new or upgraded software on the Managed Desktop, the clusters or the Remote Applications Service (RAS) subject to the following conditions and considerations.
Notification of requirements is not a guarantee of installation as the nature of the request as well as the complexity of the software needs to be determined.
For the Managed Desktop
- We can only commit to assessing the feasibility of software installation within 60 working days of receiving the installation media.
Any software which isn't suited to be deployed across large numbers of computers will not be considered (effectively any software which cannot be installed silently), therefore we recommend before purchase that you supply us with a copy of the software for testing purposes.
- Any software which is for single use only will not be considered. The IT Service will only centrally package software which will result in a significant number of installations across a number of schools / departments.
- The requestor must make the software available to the IT service via their local IT support. If the software is only to be used by one school it is expected that the local IT support within the school should package the software for deployment.
- The Software on RAS will only be updated 3 times per year (during the vacation periods). Any requests for installation need to be made at least 1 month prior to the end of term to be considered for install during the Vacation. If deemed suitable the software will be made available on test servers for the requester to test before being made publicly available. Without the requester confirming it is working as expected it will not be made generally available.
- Please note that RAS is only for accessing on campus based resources when away from campus, freely available software will not be installed as this can be installed on any standard PC. Also no software will be added that will be used for teaching large classes (via RAS). For any software like this please request installation for the Managed Desktop
- Any software which isn't suited to be deployed across large numbers of computers will not be considered (effectively any software which cannot be installed silently), therefore we recommend before purchase that you supply us with a copy of the software for testing purposes.
For the Clusters
- All requirements for new / upgraded software for teaching purposes for the forthcoming academic year should be notified in as much detail as possible by 31 Jan. Notification of requirements is not a guarantee of installation.
- Fulfilment of any requests that do not satisfy the above requirement will be dependent on current workload and available staff resources. It is likely that there will be a minimum of a 2 month delay from request to installation.
If any software request will require significant expenditure by the IT Service, then the requirement must be notified by 1 Nov for purchase in the following financial year (beginning 1 Aug). If this is not possible, then it is expected that the requester will finance the first year of the licence. The above timing considerations re installation still apply. There is no guarantee, even with advance notice that the IT Service will agree to the expenditure.
For all software requests, it is the responsibility of the requester to perform tests to verify that the installation is working correctly. If this verification does not take place, we reserve the right to withdraw the software.